How coal was made
- The Awabakal people spoke of a volcanic eruption that occurred during the Dreaming, in the area now known as Redhead.
- An ancient volcanic plug is believed to exist in the Redhead area.
- The Awabakal name of this volcano is Kintiiyirapiin. A long time ago a great darkness came over the land.
- The darkness came from a hole in a mountain and blocked out the sunlight.
- The people and animals were all very frightened.
- Messengers were sent out to gather up the people to have a yarn about how they could bring back the sunlight.
- The elders decided that they needed to cover up the darkness that was all over the ground.
- The men, women and children collected rocks, sand, branches and bark which they laid on the ground to cover up the thick darkness.
- After the darkness was covered, many generations walked on the ground pressing the earth flames and darkness together, which created coal or nikin in Awabakal.